Wednesday, November 2, 2011

It's almost that time of the year....

It's November and for us November is definitely a month we associate with harvest! The big H, the most important time of the year for us, other than sowing and shearing. It's the time of the year where the really big machinery comes out in force, you can't drive anywhere far without encountering a header (Harvester and Combine if you're American) on the road. Now these big pieces of machinery always make it a challenge to overtake, they don't have a really high top speed, generally around 40km/hr depending on whose driving (Muddy Hubby likes to take it slow and take in the scenery, whereas Muddy brother-in-law likes to get into it!). They are long and cumbersome and definitely take up more than their own side of the road (no staying on the left hand side with these babies).

When I first moved to the country I was in awe of the big machinery on the road, then I'd get frustrated because I could never overtake, now the shoe's on the other foot and I love it, I move over to give the Header enough room, I sit patiently behind until I am able to overtake and think how lucky we are to live where we live and be a part of something as exciting as harvest (I will NOT be saying this in the next drought, or if it rains and floods like last year, but for now it's all good).

The other thing that's important (especially if you ask a 4 year old) is what colour is your header? Do you have a Green header, a Red header or a Yellow header or another colour entirely. For Us, we're Green - John Deere, and trust me, it takes a lot to change colour, especially if you've had a green one for as long as Muddy Hubby can remember! As we start to get geared up for harvest there's an excitement in the air, it really is a great time of year! (Ask me again in 2 weeks and I will probably have a totally different response)


Header getting ready to hit the road


On the road

Cutting Canola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It means so much to know you're reading and have taken the time to comment. Have a wonderful day.