Thursday, March 29, 2012

Blame It On The Cards



Yesterday I had my second last Bootcamp session. It was a killer. Every part of my body hurts, my knees are feeling especially sorry for themselves. You know what though, I feel good. I feel really good.

9 weeks ago I wouldn't have been able to do as much as I did yesterday, I would have been walking between sets after only a couple of sets, whereas today I ran between most of them, it was only the last few where exhaustion was starting to win out.

Over the last 9 weeks Princess Pain has mixed up our sessions, no two have been the same, there's been cardio, strength, boxing, lots of sweat, some very red faces and at times a bit of swearing. Yesterday's session was all about the pack of cards.

Princess Pain had a pack of cards, she shuffled it at the start and that set our plan for the session. Each card had an exercise on it, including Burpees, planks, push ups, step ups, mountain climbers, dips, and the number on the card determined how long you would do that activity or how many reps. The first one she pulled out was step ups on a 6, this meant we had to start with 60 seconds of step ups. Not a great start to the session! As we groaned our way through Princess Pain simply replied 'it's not me, it's the cards!'.

And on and on it went, through 14 jump squats, 15 dips, 60secs of plank etc, etc for a full hour. It was a major workout. Each time she turned over a card and read out the set I groaned, but sucked it up and did it. At the end of the session I even asked what the session times were for next term, I'm that keen to keep going.

You see I've always had a thing about exercise, it's not my favourite thing but I know I need to do it and once I'm in the groove I secretly love it, I love the endorphin hit is gives me, I love the small changes I start to see in my body and in myself, I start to have more energy, more happy moments and if I keep it up I get to go shopping for new clothes!

One added benefit over the last few sessions is the positive message that my Muddy Organiser is picking up, she's come to the last few sessions and seen me exercising, she's been asking questions about why I'm exercising and what it does and what each activity does. I feel great being able to set a nice positive example about exercise for my Muddy Kids, one I hope to be able to continue. I'm not sure how we'll go through winter with the late evenings and the cold air, but I'll give it a shot to make sure I keep going, because the benefits far outweigh my grumbles and groans!

What's your favourite bit about exercise?
Do you exercise with your kids?

4 comments:

  1. Well done Nat, it sounds like you're going great guns. Exercising with the littlin's is good fun, we don't do anything specifically, but always a lot of running and walking and ball games. Grounding for a positive approach to being healthy, I hope.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isnt it great when the kids get excited about something you are doing, even better when it is exercise. I hope you do keep it up over winter, pity to undo all this hard work!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of that session - as painful as it would have been.
    I'm defintely addicted to those endorphins but I also love seeing our little Magoo support Hubby and I in our exercise/fitness/sports/events.
    I think it's a nice, healthy example to set.
    Much better than hanging out with Mum at the pub anyway!!!
    :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've decided I can't do bootcamp... I'll stick to jelly arms and swimming thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. It means so much to know you're reading and have taken the time to comment. Have a wonderful day.