Friday, December 23, 2011

The Gingerbread House

So the other thing I'm a scaredy cat about is building a Gingerbread House. I would LOVE to make one that's super fabulous and even one tenth as brilliant as Zumbo's but it's not going to happen. I have only just mastered making Gingerbread biscuits so there's no way I'm ready for the house. Despite this my Muddy Sister-in-law always strongly encourages me to make one. Having made several herself including ones from scratch she is quite confident in her Gingerbread abilities.

This year my Nephew's Preschool had a fundraiser and they were selling Gingerbread kits. So My Muddy Sister-in-law kindly bought one for my Muddy Tribe! She posted it in the mail and surprisingly it arrived intact. You just needed to buy the lollies to decorate it.

I started to get a little apprehensive, but lo and behold a change in plans meant that I was in Sydney and My Muddy Mother-in-law made it with my Muddy Girls. I am forever Thankful for this! I know it's probably a bit over the top, but I know that with my shaky hands I'd crack the roof or my walls wouldn't meet up, then I'd get all cranky that it wasn't working and the whole thing would go in the chook bucket. So really it's been a good thing that I couldn't do it with the kids.

Last night Muddy Hubby Cracked it open for the Tribe and the Muddy Kids (and Muddy Hubby too I think) have been on a sugar high ever since! We took some photos to send to My Muddy Sister-in-law, they were a one handed effort as Muddy Bubby wanted in on the action too!

Maybe a Gingerbread House needs to go on my to do list for 2012 Christmas, as I slowly overcome my anxiety over making one. Or maybe I just need to learn how to pipe icing properly first, small steps.






Have you ever made a Gingerbread House?
Do you have any hints and tips?

1 comment:

  1. It is on my bucket list of baking MFW. I've only just mastered gingerbread and the icing this Christmas, I am giving myself a few years before I perfect a house. But I SO want to :o)
    That house looks fantastic, OTT is the only way when it comes to decorating a gingerbread house ;o) xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. It means so much to know you're reading and have taken the time to comment. Have a wonderful day.