Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Spending up Big

I am always in two minds when a big event comes up in town, do we go and come home exhausted, overtired and with considerably less money in my wallet. Or do we stay home and make our own fun?
 
Friday saw the big School Fete all organised. The Muddy Organiser was so very excited, she could barely contain herself. So I loaded up the rest of the Muddy Kids and headed straight to the school fete after school (it went from 3-7pm). I walked in and I was overwhelmed, there were so many stalls and activities and people! I had no idea where to start.
 
My problem too, was that I hadn't set a limit to spending or activities in my head. Having never been before I wasn't sure what to expect. It worked on a ticket system, you bought a heap of tickets and these were exchanged at most of the stalls. I quickly decided on a yes to face painting and fingernail painting, and yes to the jumping castle. The rest I was happy to avoid, but they suckered me in with the showbags and each of the Muddy Girls went home with one.
 
I have learned my lesson though, buy a set amount of tickets early and they can choose what to spend their tickets on, and once they're gone, they're gone and there's no more! For some reason I found it heaps easier to spend tickets than cash! Very Dangerous! We did all have a lovely time though (even me) and they have started talking about what they would like to do at next year's fete!
 
I am curious though - how do you manage kids and spending at big events?
 





1 comment:

  1. LOVE those butterflies, so sweet! And the snoozin' little lady at the end is just precious. Oh I am currently an expert at avoiding the big spend at shows etc... I simply say NO and only offer certain things. The boys seem to accept it at the moment, but I know it won't be this way always and I'm going to have to put systems in place as they get older... and more needy. It's not easy Nat, especially these days, with kids seemingly getting more and more. Looks like the littlies had a ball though, so it was worth it xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. It means so much to know you're reading and have taken the time to comment. Have a wonderful day.