Friday, April 20, 2012

Non-Verbal Tango


I was chatting to a friend recently about just how much we communicate with our husbands through a look or an action, so much is conveyed without words, like a dance back and forth. It's not that Muddy Hubby and I don't talk, in fact we talk lots and lots, several times a day (thank you phone plan for free calls to each other) but more and more there are non-verbal communications going on, our non-verbal tango.

These are not always communications I love, but at least the message is getting through. The other day Muddy Hubby let me know his work clothes needed washing, not by asking me to do a load, or by putting them in the machine, but by leaving the lid of his washing basket open, with clothes strategically draped to hang over the edge. Message received, I've almost run out of undies!

Then there's my messages to him, given he's been getting home after we're all tucked up in bed, I leave his dinner in the microwave and he heats it up and eats alone. So he will stack it in the dishwasher and turn it on, I leave the dishwasher door open, with it all turned on and ready to go as soon as he puts his plate in and shuts the door. If the door was not open, it would be placed on the sink and the dishwasher forgotten in his tired state.

The non-verbal tango I love the most though is the one when we're out and about. If one of us is heading to the bar, a quick look with a movement of the hand towards the mouth, a nod or a shake of the head in reply, with some lovely thank you eye contact. The look of I'm bored when I can see he's stuck talking to an old granny and he's having trouble following along. The look of love when he's saying I just want to be alone, just the two of us, not stuck out at a boring dinner. Then at the end of the night, when we've both had enough that incline of the head 'are you ready to go?', or it's a touch that can covey so much, 'you OK', 'you ready to go?', 'I love you'. message sent message received, our non-verbal tango.

Do you have a non-verbal tango with your partner?
What's your favourite non-verbal communication?
Is it about the house work or when you're out and about?

2 comments:

  1. The wide eyes or raised eyebrows that say it all!!
    The knowing what each other is searching/rummaging for without saying a word.
    The gesturing over Magoo's head about contraband like chocolate!

    I love feeling Hubby's gaze or touch when we're out a-mingling. Being connected amidst chaos or craziness.

    Spoken and unspoken bonds!
    :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, love it Nat. Never thought of it in this way, but Scott and I have a lot of that going on too. The best one for us I think, is just 'knowing' what the other one is thinking about a situation... or a person... I always love that one, because we have a chuckle about it later on and it just reinforces for us that we were meant for each other.
    You two are so cute xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. It means so much to know you're reading and have taken the time to comment. Have a wonderful day.